Sunday, March 25, 2007

Two down!

Looking over the B huts at the mountains surrounding us on a nice spring day!

The weather is improving. Yea, no rain for the last 3 days. Out in PT shorts yesterday and today getting some much needed Vit.D. A little too much on my forehead! This week has gone much faster than the last. Getting into a daily routine. I have started fake running on mon, wed, and fridays. Fake running is done on a treadmill. The gym filters the outside air which smells of human waste and burning rubber. Tues, thurs, and Sat we lift weights. Dr. Bill is my exercise buddy and we keep each other pretty honest. Bill and I are getting to know each other pretty well and he is a good man, soldier and doctor.
As you know I finshed my closet. I'm working on a couple of projects for the TMC now. Still working the afternoon shift, but now I have three days of ortho consults a week. These times are for soldiers that have chronic problems that need attention or further treatment. Some are to decide if they should go home early to be fixed. Some need some small things done while here. An example, this week I removed an inclusion cyst from a hand of a soldier and injected a ganglion, some shoulders and knees. I have one local kid that had some sort of insect bite that had needed some basic debridement every other day. Another local came in with a distal finger crush injury that was almost completly amputed. I took off the tip and cleaned it out, then closed the end. I'll be following him up regularly. Thats the cool stuff, more common things are sinus infections, rashes and general complaints. We all pitch in and see everything that comes in the door. Some of it in our comfort zone and some of it not so much. Dr. Bill is always able to be reached if one of us can not figure it out. We are learning the strengths of our medics. They are very capable and willing to learn more. It is a good group!
Friday was my first Bazar here on post. It was down in the French quarter of the base. I must be likeable because all the dealers wanted to make me a deal because I was there friend. Thats what they told me, it must be true. Kind of felt like I was in Mexico. Just bought some post cards. I have looked at some leather jackets though that were very nice too. You can get Cuban cigars here too. The big Bazar is next Friday, I wonder if I'll make more friends?
I'm finding out that there are as many activities here as a cruise ship. Each night of the week different things are going on for the soldiers to enjoy and relax with. You can line dance, listen to soldiers playing live music, try your hand at singing yourself (not me), or learn to play poker. Like a cruise ship the food here is pretty good and there is always enough. Haven't seen a single MRE since leaving the states. Three diffenent food lines plus a buffet bar for every meal. You can go to one or all of them. Most of the food taste pretty good too. My normal cafeteria rule still applys; if you can't recognize it quickly, don't eat it. If you get to a meal late some of the food is dried out and tough or over cooked. In general I can not complain though.
Today I took most of the morning to relax and read. It was a nice change from the kind of endless movement of the rest of the week. We played catch with a couple of footballs and had some fun. Found a couple of bikes and fixed them up to ride around, we'll give them to the locals when we leave.
Church was nice today. Being at church while on military time seems to increase the revelence of the message to me. Somehow here I seem to be able to focus a little more. I don't have lifes little interuptions and my schedule is much less compressed. We have 3 pastors, all have a good style and can get the message across well. It is a good time to fellowship!
Well thats all for now. Thanks to everyone who looks in to see how I am doing and thanks for all the comments on the blog. Next week I'll post some pics of the food spread we see daily.

To Cailtin: My wonderful little girl, Happy Birthday!!!!!!!! March 27th, my little Sunshine will be 9 years old. I miss you! I am very proud to be your Daddy. All my love Sunshine.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

To Daddy:
I really miss you very much. You are the most wonderful daddy and I'm so glad to be your daughter.
I love you too, Caitlin

Anonymous said...

Hi Daddy!
I miss you and I love you a lot. When you come home, I want to do my rocket with you. I hope you have a wonderful day.
Love, Luke

Anonymous said...

Dear Mike,

This is your community group in Bend. We just read your awesome update. Thank you! So glad to hear you are doing well, have a great team to work with, and even a woodshop to play in! God is so good.
We are praising God for Chris' miraculous healing. We will take care of Chris, Caitlin, and Luke while you are gone. At least, as well as we can...
So good to hear that your Sunday services are good, too!
Hey Mike Rose Marie here. We are so grateful for Chris' sake she is "all better' She looks great. I know you think so too but I do for a different reason :-) She is doing well and the kids have a peace about them that must come from the Lord. It sounds like you are having an impact in the lives of our soldiers and the locals. Thanks for your service there protecting us from the bad guys. Love to you and many prayers.

Hey Mike, this is Barry. It's great to see the pictures of where you are and what you are doing. I understand the boy with the heart condition has been taken care of, but we'd love to see if there other needs that arise where we can partner with you. Take care and God bless! We're praying for you!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike, Good job. I really look forward to checking in on you. I am praying for you. Thanks for fixing my foot. It is so much better. Kathy Poncy - Bend

Steve said...

Mike,

Good to read your blog today. I just got the link and sounds like you are doing well. We miss having you over to laugh with. Nice craftsmanship on the closet, you rock! You should start a business. It is great that you have lots to pass the time with. We are definitly praying for you. Miss you...

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike
Glad you are doing some wonderful things for the locals there. It is somtimes for us civilian.s to grasp what it is like for them. Your blog today was exceptional. Chris came into the clinic and shared the picture cd with us. What a beautiful place, Germany too. I have 2 cam walkers that will be heading your way soon. Stay safe and God bless you for service and time for the US and there. I like the name of your new business Battlefield Furniture. I would be proud to do the finish work with you.....Maggs

Anonymous said...

Oh I forgot Holly said you lost my email.... That's ok I have changed it. I'm a big girl now I have broadband... My new addy is snobabez@gmail.com... Look forward to hearing from you. Guess what I really missed wound clinic today, can you believe that. I can. Always Maggie

Anonymous said...

Hey Neighbor,
Eric, Sarah, and Kaylee
Nice photos and the closet looks pretty cool too. Wish you were here to help me tear out the cabinets. I just barely got them out with some help. Chris passed a 6mm stone!!! and you thought you were tough. Kaylee is having her 1st B-Day just after Caitlins, we are having a BBQ wish you could be here. Two of the pulmonologists quit so I am hoping to be bought out by the hospital to provide CCU and floor care. It seems me and Dr. Murphy will be contracting with the hospital. The kitchen will be finished the second week in April so we are pumped. We have been using the trailer alot so I will be heading to the dump soon. I was wondering if you wanted any of the old cabinets for your shop? Let me know soon or they are going to Habitat for Humanity. Well thats about all for now. Oh wait I bought a new bike... so I guess I have to ride it now. Miss you alot. Be safe

The Neighbors

Anonymous said...

Ma and Pa Kettle are finally
reading your blog up here in your own attic. Ma is still down for the count with her computer. Wrote
you a letter--note the further technical difficulties. Will do the snail mail again soon. Haven't
given up on the computer yet, but
I'm getting error messages about
something missing. All our love!
Mom and Dad

Anonymous said...

Mike,
It has been so neat reading about your trip and seeing the pictures. I was really impressed with the locker you made, awesome! Happy Anniversary also, both of you were in our thoughts that day and our Caitlin too on her birthday. Keep up the great work that god has sent you to do and may God bless you and keep all of you safe.

Dion and Trudi

Anonymous said...

Mike,

I finally made it on-line, and was
sorry I didn't discover anything new on your blog, but then it's
April Fool's day here; what can I expect. When I figure out E-mail
I'll send you one. I'll tell Chris what my E-mail address is and
she can tell you. Not sure the world needs to know. Love--Mom

Anonymous said...

Mike,

I finally made it on-line, and was
sorry I didn't discover anything new on your blog, but then it's
April Fool's day here; what can I expect. When I figure out E-mail
I'll send you one. I'll tell Chris what my E-mail address is and
she can tell you. Not sure the world needs to know. Love--Mom