Saturday, December 19, 2009

4 Days In Qatar

OK not in Qatar yet, still trying to get the best sunset picture. This is of right outside my CHU looking at commo hill. The sky on the horizon is never clear but the sunsets are lacking. I remember the vivid evening sky in Waxahachie, especially on nights with an Ozone alert from Dallas. The good old days.

Getting ready to begin my long journey to Qatar. You must check out with the CP (command post). I am not sure if this is unit pt or what. They are playing rock band I think. This picture doesn't capture the activity level, but they were jumping around and really getting into it.


Ahh, welcome to Qatar, the lap of luxury. Feel like I was back in Oz in a backpacker. We had 10 people per room. Lower enlisted had 20. You have to be an O6 or above to get your own room. Wasn't too bad, met a lot of nice guys, people to hang out with while there. Luckly I got there a little early and got a bottom bunk. I hate climbing up to the top.


We were not allowed to take pictures outside on base, so here is outside our room but still in the building. We were basically warehoused. This is the front of the building and those are the rooms lined up down the hall, 4 rows of them. Way in the back they have conex trailers stacked up like Lego land in Afghanistan for the O6 and above.

Downtown Doha. This is looking from the front of the Islam Museum. The city is growing like nothing I have ever seen before. We must have passed 300 cranes on building projects just from the base to here. The rumor has it that they are bidding for the 2020 Olympics and are building not like they already have it. They were holding some sort of Asian games while we were here, but never got to close to it. The structures are very modern and some quite beautiful.

I don't stick out as an American, do I?

This impressive building is the Islamic Museum.
Artifacts from as far back as the 6th century. Incredible to think that things can last that long. Someone had the forethought to protect them or we are just lucky.

Just inside the front entry. The center is open without displays. They were setting up for some sort of dinner this day though. It is multiple levels high with stunning views the entire place and of the city skyline.

A view of the levels and the cat walks. If you look through the window you can see some of the downtown skyline.

Close up of the same window.

The exhibits were amazing to see. In the US you just can't find things that were made there 2000 years ago. One thing they talked about is the way they take normal objects an beautify them to bring beauty into their lives.

Tile wall covering. Very impressive inlay and done with the most basic of tools

Jeweled daggers, I think from the 1200's

Hand written copies of the Koran from before the eighth century. The design and gold inlay is amazing.


Some of the jewelry on display. Must of taken quite a while to do all of the impressive inlay in the gold.
What do you think Rickie?

The I dream of Jeanie lamp.

An oil lamp. It is wonderful with it's design. I would have liked it if they had lite it from inside to really show off the colors. The combo of glass and metal is amazing.

One of the many examples of pottery. Many had vivid colors and detail. I saw some that almost looked like our dishes at home. Some things don't change that much.

Jeweled falcon

This was a center piece of a door. The entire thing was just a massive inlay project. These people didn't just survive, but must have really thrived to even think of projects with this kind of detail.

Another example of a simple dagger, yea simple.

Later on the same evening
31 flavors known around the world. They also supply or chow hall ice cream.
This is in downtown Doha in the old shops area. It had many restaurants and galleries as well. Very European feel to it, but still very middle eastern.

These guys were hand carving traditional wooden boats. Notice the hold down clamp the guy on the left is using. OSHA approved. The finished work was amazing. Real craftsmen.

Dinner time at a Lebanese restaurant in the down town area. The food was amazing! We all try ed the hookah. They used fruit flavoring in the tobacco. It was very smooth, still not a habit I'll take up anytime soon, but it was interesting to find out what everyone likes about it. Out table is on the roof top of the restaurant with amazing views of the city.

Our appetizers. I wish I had written down what everything was. It came with some pita bread and we made burritos with it. I could have just eaten this for the entire evening. Not a bit of meat in it either. I know the green things are stuffed grape leaves.

More views of the street area. The large building in the back ground is a mosque. The entire city was amazing to see. So modern, but still a lot of what I would call traditional middle eastern feel about it. Many people still in the traditional head gear and dress like outfit for the men.
Doha golf course. It is on the PGA tour. Had to play it. I am not the golfer my father in law is, or for that matter my son is, but it was nice to get out and beat a little whit ball to death. This place is really kept up as well. They had guys out front cleaning the curbs!
A view of the club house and grand stands from a distance.

The grand stands from a bit closer.
Even the bathrooms are amazing.

This might be the Olympic course in 2020. I can say I played it.


You can tell this is at the beginning of our play, I'm still smiling pretty big. The clubs were great, which gladly improved my game. I didn't loose a single ball, and even found one. That, to me is a great day golfing!

Well after all the travels, it was time to get back home to VBC. I packed like but still found a stow a way in my bag. Captain had quite a trip as well. Got some needed rest and met some very famous people too. Think he enjoyed the time away as well.

Americana, it's everywhere. Makes you wonder sometimes why people hate us so much?
Pretty dry in Kuwait had to get him a drink. He wanted a beer, but not allowed here.
This fog is pretty cool if you don't know what causes it. The C-17 had a leak in the back door seal and we couldn't pressurize the cabin. When you get high enough it is kind of like hitting the dew point. Pretty cool, but not good for a long flight. We turned around twice to get it fixed. Good thing it was pretty empty.
There I am, all rested and ready to get back to work. That's what I keep telling myself anyway.
Random shots of the inside of a C-17. Had some extra time with the turn arounds and stuff to get some shots.


It was a great trip. Qatar is a place I might return to at sometime in the future. I think it would be a great place to explore. Pretty small country, most likely only take a few days. A lot of great culture.
Next up Spurring!
Thanks again for looking in.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to you, Today, I had to see Keith. Beacause I slip on ice down I went on my back and sore. And that afternoon again I slip on ice this time I fell on my knees and my chest. I tied Tylenol and other pain pills the worked a little and not strong effort. But, Deep Heating and a very good electirc blanket works. So, today I went to see Keith, PA in Madras for the back and front pain I am on three kind of meds for pain, etc. Oh, Cpt. Long told me to tell you that I am keeping care of our HHT patience. Oh, he show me the photos of Texas fort of his Medical classes and his roommate from oversea country. I love men in uniform. Keith also ask me went you come home? Now, are you plans of your Big boss the Predident is senting more troops. I enjoy all the photos on your blog, and most of all the one photo of a handsome man alright its you my friend. Oh, I miss the hair under your nose. I see it is gone. How is Major John and other staff these days? Do you get to watch some of the College bowl games over there on the base. We are watching Boise State -vs- Texas Christian Univ. so far the score in Boise State 10 and TCU 0, TCU just score 6 points extra point good now it is BS 10 and TCU 7. hope for BS to win. We'll see. Well, my friend take care. Love, Linda

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike, It is nice to see you having some fun and exploring in civilian clothes. The photos from the museum are very cool!!! And what a well traveled teddy bear.:o) We've had lots of fractures from falls on the ice come to the OR this week since our influx of freezing rain and fog. Be well and stay safe. My thanks to you and your crew for being there away from your families as we begin 2010. ~Julie

Unknown said...

Yeah! for the down time rest is a nice thing. Great pictures I will have to show Tony the golf course.