Friday, March 16, 2007

First week


Hi y'all. My first week is ending on a great note. I was just fumbling through my german directions and stumbled across a page that lets me change from german to english instructions, yea! Up till now my wonderful wife has been adding some of the pics to the page. Thankyou Honey.

Well where to begin, how about last Saturday and getting here. Landed at Bagram about 0030 last Saturday night, hussled around for a while, our bags were stuck with some of the SF guys stuff and we had to track it down before it left. We got to the R and R tent about 0200 local for alittle rest. First good nights rest in a couple of days, with ear plugs and night mask on to block out the jets and light.

The next day we were put on a 5 ton truck to the journey up here. Doesn't make you feel very safe sitting in the back of a truck, but they did have up armor on the sides to your waist. On the ride up saw some of the most beautiful mountains ever. They stood out alone like ours back home but looked more like the rockies in shape and grandure. Sat beside and airforce CPT who was on his 7th deployment, who was scaring me everytime we slowed down by telling me this was a good kill zone. Learned to ignore him about half way through and looked to the SFC to my right and his pose, much more relaxed. I only had my 9mm so I would be more effective at making the bad guys mad than anything else. The trip took about 90 minutes, drank too much water before getting on the truck, and with bouncing body armor it felt a lot longer.

After checking in and seeing what the place was like alittle, I was wandering around and found they have a woodshop here onbase, battle field happiness. Made a bed stand to raise my bed up and store stuff under it. Currently working on a new closet. My room is 7x8' in size with a window on the door. It is part of a conex (trailer), cozy. The area makes me feel at home though, it's called Legoland.

Sunday morning we had death by power point. Getting all the facility rules for behavior and safety. Went to church that night, got singled out by the pastor because I gave him his physical in Oregon before he left. Pretty good service. Did our first workout that day too. Very dizzy afterwards.

Monday started working some. Doing afternoon sick call. It started out slow enough. Army regulations must state your first patient must be different from your normal to welcome you to country, mine was hemoroids. He lived! Carl and I have been working on reorganizing supplies and materials to our liking and getting familiar with the clinic set up since we will be spending most of your time here. The patients have been picking up, mostly ortho and some minor wound care for me. Two progressive unstable anginas for carl. The clinic has a combonation of Army, Airforce and Navy working in it. All seem to be pretty well skilled.

Went to the closest base a couple of days ago for a meet and greet. Pretty cool. It is amazing how many countries are out here in support. Some wild looking uniforms too. It seems to be us and the British doing the tuff stuff though.

The food here is amazing. You could gain 20lbs a month if you tryed. 4 different food lines per meal, and you can go to all of them. A coffee hut across the street in the PX, Dairy Queen. I will continue to workout a lot!

Had an open mic night, (some very talented people), line dancing and a movie night for the clinic. Overall it is very different than I expected.

In closing I would like to say how much I have enjoyed all the support you have sent my way so far. Please keep in mind that not all of the soldiers have it as good as I do. There are a lot of very brave and determined souls out there who protect us (here and there), and I only hope I can do a small part to keep them healthy and well to send them home to the families they miss as much as I miss mine. Thanks all, please keep us in your prayers

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike Just a quick note. Hope you are doing well. From the looks of things , the country sounds very interesting and different. Take care of your self. Tim and Renee

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike, sorry,I missed you in Landstuhl...Perhaps you come back the same way on your return tour.
Some good German food and a nice tour in the country side, where the Paulson have lived for 3 years will be presented to you. I'm sure Chris would like you to see it, too.
Take good care,
Edith

Anonymous said...

Hey Mikey, I have seen you dance in wound clinic, did you do a little talent number? I am glad you are getting to see some pretty country. We will look forward to seeing those pictures. Take care of you.....holly

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike,
Sounds like there are some intersting things to see, with the different cultures and surroundings. It's great to see your pictures, and a video of you dancing would be priceless!! Stay safe. Deb

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike--Love reading about what you are up to! We continue to pray for you and keep up with Chris and the kids. Know that God will bless your time there in some special way. Keep seeking Him!
Hebrews 11:6
Don and Karen Tavolacci

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike. It is great to hear from you and what you are up to. I'm glad you are getting to see some pretty mountains and that the food is great. Chris told me you even have your wood shed. You are in my prayers every day. Take Care and I'll talk to you soon. Love, Your favorite sister in-law

Anonymous said...

Hey you. That is the old southern way to say HI! We sure do miss you here. Not the same not being harassed on a daily basis about the Palm Pilot (although Yves is certainly a contender holding his own). :) Ran into Chris and the kids in the hall the other day and they were in good spirits. They sure do miss you too. I enjoyed talking to them very much. I will check your site more often. Although i am an IT girl, I have never posted a comment on the net. Was great fun to see the pictures and to see the scenery. Looking forward to more. be careful and take care. I am charging your IPAQ as we speak. Godspeed - Kristine

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike - I emailed you last week at your .mil address and haven't heard from you so hope you got it! Today is the first time I've been able to access your blog site. I'm at work right now and tried every way I could think of to get on from home but nothing worked. Just wanted you to know that I've been thinking of you and hope all is well. Write when you get a minute. Rita and Mo are watching your blog site, too. You are being wished well by everyone here at work. Take care. More later.
Kathe